Coldron Mill, south-west of Spelsbury village, is on a site where a mill existed for at least a thousand years. The History of Spelsbury by Elsie Corbett states that corm was milled here ‘occasionally’ until 1914. The last working equipment, constructed entirely of elm and dating back to the 1770s is believed to have been designed by Thomas Telford and may have been the last wooden mill to be built before iron was introduced. It was removed to the Science Museum in 1937, but after a year or two on display was dismantled and remains in storage.
A modern wheel has recently been installed at the mill; it is made of brushed steel and elm and weighs 2.5 tonnes. Each of the 48 buckets holds 80kg of water and at about 20rpm generates between 2 and 4kwh.